Monday, March 29, 2010

Letter of Reccomendation

I believe that everyone should petition their friends and colleagues to write a Letter of Recommendation for them about every 5 years. I honestly, have never had or needed a Letter of Recommendation until recently. Within the performing arts world, you audition, you network, and on occasion, for a survival job, you rope one of your friends into being the number to call for a reference. They then tout your skills, while you stand there eavesdropping on the call and sniggering at that fact that you just bamboozled someone into giving you a job.
Recently, I roped three of my friends who have actually worked with me into writing my Letters of Recommendation, and the result had me staggered. Yes, they all contained the usual laudatory language that you would expect in such a letter, but what had me reeling was the sense of love and respect that they contained. The subtle subtext that said, not only would I recommend this person, but I respect and care for this person. I truly enjoy working with this person. Seeing this on paper, as an official letter, a declaration, moved me.
As I read each one, I thought to myself, wow,that's me?! This letter is about me. I even had a moment where I felt a bit lighter, and a few inches taller. Everyone needs to have that feeling every once in awhile. It is a reminder to cherish the people that I have in my life, the people who would write such things. Thank you guys!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I could write you a new one every day, my dear.

Miss you and think of you at least once every day...and am ever- thankful that you waltzed your beautiful self into my life. My friend. A beautiful and weighty designation...